Official, and important server announcements pertaining to the game. Check them out before playing.

Moderator: Nighthand

Nighthand
Master of Games
Class: Bladesmage

Temp Announcement: Post Days

Post by Nighthand » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:18 am

Due to things in life, I'm changing post days. Some of you may have noticed a few of my posts coming post-midnight on Friday, or even later on early Saturday. See, my friends around here are really busy these days, and often, the only times they have available are on Friday. Also, Gamer's Guild on campus is on Friday and I like to go there to hang out with folk. So my Fridays don't leave as much time for writing as they used to.

So here it is: From here on, until further notice, I'm changing post day to Saturday.

Questions/Comments/Suggestions, as well as comments about the current scenario and Yamiyo, you can ask here if you like. Feel free to comment on anything, not just the post day. Seriously, I wanna hear feedback =D.

Edit

By now, some or all of you have probably seen this topic on Subs. The EXP system. So I'll answer Questions about it here. Here's a few starters:

Main will participate in the Trial of the EXP system. However, given the length of the average Main quest, chances are we will not see any threads graded by the end of it. Therefore it doesn't really matter to us.

If the EXP system is kept, which in my opinion it probably will be, Mainplot will be participating in the EXP system. I know, I know, huge shock, Nighthand hates change, etc. I actually like this idea.

Functionally, the grading will be identical, only now I can differentiate between good 3 level performance and bad 3 level performance.

Mainplot differences.

I'm thinking of an Idea. I'm thinking that I will occasionally drop EXP in threads. Perhaps I will even drop EXP after every battle, or every major landmark in a Quest, or something. I don't know the details yet, I only just thought about it.

I know a lot of people complain that Main quests are too long and that rewards for them in their length aren't as good as running a bunch of smaller quests on subs. This would solve that problem, by allowing dynamic rewarding of EXP and the occasional in-quest level up.

What do you think?

Takua
Ikkitousen
Class: Wavemaster

Re: Temp Announcement: Post Days

Post by Takua » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:25 am

I like the idea. It certainly allows us to feel the growth a little quicker, maybe that'll keep interest levels up as well. I'm all for it.
Takua - Lvl 57 Wavemaster
Wishlist: Levels, Stun Rod, Hag's Wand, Wand of Truth, Ex-Level, Ex-Spheres, and Myth: Demiurge, FL Fukuoka

Talal
Ikkitousen
Class: Twinblade

Post by Talal » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:14 am

I'm for it. The change in post days as well as the EXP. Although, getting the interim level opportunity isn't as important to me, I can see how it would be nice to have the option and as Tak said, possibly keep interest going during a long quest.
Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Walk beside me that we may be as one.
Talal
Level 39 (0/1000 EXP) Twin Blade

Weapons/Armor: Mukuro (Swirling Dark, Dark Dance), Ice Hunter Cap (Repth), Wristbands (Juk Rom), Fishing Gloves (Rue Kruz), Wyrm Hide (Gan Don), Snow Panther (Ap Vorv)

Wish List: Scrolls, Tarot Cards, and Armor higher than level 30.

Raquar
Ikkitousen

Post by Raquar » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:02 pm

I think the Exp system is a decent idea and worth trying at least, however I do disagree with in-quest level ups.
Level 28 Long Arm
Archspear, Newt Necklace, Smith's Gloves, Wyrm Scale, Kuja's Thong Dress
EXP: [700/1000]

WISHLIST
Levels
Weapons: - All
Armor: Head - Scarab Earring
Body - Nothing until Mid 30's. Ninja Garb Hand - Nothing until Mid 30's. Leg - Nothing until Mid 30's.
Items: Cooked Biles, Darkness Scrolls (Any and All)

Nighthand
Master of Games

Post by Nighthand » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:25 pm

Why? It's good to know that you disagree, but some reasoning would be nice. Issues can be addressed, after all.

Raquar
Ikkitousen

Post by Raquar » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:05 am

Well Tak brought up the point that he felt it might keep interest in long quests, however I get the feeling if somebody were to level up mid-quest that it would inspire more complacency than interest. Kind of a, oh I've already got rewards for part of the quest, its gonna be a pain to level up again, I've already got something I'll just wait for the next one to start, or that kinda deal.
Level 28 Long Arm
Archspear, Newt Necklace, Smith's Gloves, Wyrm Scale, Kuja's Thong Dress
EXP: [700/1000]

WISHLIST
Levels
Weapons: - All
Armor: Head - Scarab Earring
Body - Nothing until Mid 30's. Ninja Garb Hand - Nothing until Mid 30's. Leg - Nothing until Mid 30's.
Items: Cooked Biles, Darkness Scrolls (Any and All)

Dien
Exalted Player
Class: Blademaster

Post by Dien » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:45 pm

With respect, Raq, I really don't think that would happen. If anything, it would make it more like it is in the games, where you get a little bit of EXP after every battle, and after you hit the mark, you move up a level. It would also allow our characters to be able to experience leveling up, something that until now has been really awkward to try and introduce. I also don't think it would count towards complacency, because we're getting the reward for our work with more frequency, and we won't have to wait for the end of the quest to have our characters power up a little bit. Besides that, in a real MMO, do you suddenly become complacent just because you've hit the (relatively easy to attain) level mark and have to start counting again? I would say not, and especially not within the confines of an RPG where the main thing driving the play is plot and character development. At the least, I do think that we should try it, and if it doesn't work, we just go back to the way it was before.

Now the question is, Nighthand, assuming we get mid-quest EXP, would items and equipment also be awarded mid-quest, or would those wait for the end?
Image|||Level 35 Blademaster (+200 EXP)
Wishlist: EXP, Ends of Earth, Armor with Status Effects

Nighthand
Master of Games

Post by Nighthand » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:05 am

I've been giving some thought to the items question. I'm thinking that, if any, only a few items would be rewarded. A few scrolls, or some potions, or an armor piece, or a weapon. There would never be a rare awarded any time other than the end of a quest (consider it a drop from the boss, perhaps), and the majority of the items rewarded would come at the end.

On an unrelated note, this weekend I'm going to be out of town in a place with no internet. So my post, if I post this week, would happen on either Sunday or Tuesday.