In need of some reading material? Buy powerful scrolls here.
Librarian: Neona

Moderator: Nighthand

Armina
Exalted Player

One Voice Among the Many - Armina finds her Way

Post by Armina » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:26 am

Theta Server: Beautiful Eternal Hypha (original field level 20)

The bright whiteness faded from her eyes, leaving Armina to blink up at a beautiful purple and pink sky of sunset. Groggily she rolled over, being careful of her Berserk Spear. The scent of crushed flowers rewarded her every movement. Through still straining eyes Armina marveled at the carpet of meadow grass & flowers beneath her, so soft & many-hued. She blinked again, noticing that she had a violet cast from the light of the setting sun. Armina sat up then, pulling one knee to her chest as she gazed across the meadow. The sun did not appear to be moving; as if this place was in perpetual pre-dusk. Along the horizon there were the blue silhouettes of distant mountains. All around magical specks of light floated. As if they were Fairies or ever lingering dandelion fluff. "Beautiful."

"Beautiful Eternal Hypha, actually" The masculine voice caught her off guard & she nearly tripped on her staff trying to get into battle stance from lounging on the ground. A gentle chuckle from behind & the battle maiden spun around. There he stood, just as he was when Armina had first seen him in the World: the glowing vision of a knight with sparkling armor, dark hair, aquamarine eyes. He leaned casually against a strange tall mushroom that shot at least two stories into the evening sky. His swords were propped within reach against a pair of mushrooms only twice his height. All with that blue violet cast from the setting sun. For all appearances, he looked to have been watching over her.

"Desmith..." She had thought him gone from the World after their duel in the Hacker Arena on the Yamiyo Server.

"It's okay Trel... you can call me Ryan, if it makes you more comfortable." He smiled sadly at her. Armina's thoughts were troubled. I'm not sure it does...

An amused grin touched his face. "Don't you like my gift, Trelweny?"

She turned away from him, her posture despondent & head hung low. "Please don't call me that here. I'm not Trelweny in the World... I'm not. I can't be." Desmith started to move as if to apologize or console yet seemed to think better of it. The tide of her thoughts and feelings was palpable & the Hacker wondered if perhaps he had given her too much. He clamped his shields up tighter. As if sensing the barrier Armina spun, eyes blazing & he could only stare. "I have to be Armina here. I have to be the battle maiden if I want to survive."

"So that's what your name means? Fitting." He held his hands out & ducked his head; a show of acceptance, pardon, & giving in to her request. "Not German, is it?"

"No. Norse." She shifted her gaze beyond him, watching the faint wind dance the branches of a squat tree with orange & golden leaves of autumn. She sighed heavily. It could almost be paradise. If not for feeling confined by her companion.

"Oh. I thought it was "noble" in Latin." He mused as if nothing was amiss. Armina shrugged. "It could be. Where I found it said otherwise, but you know as well as I do how records fade & blur."

With another sigh she sat back down, watching the unmoving sunset. "I'm sorry, Ryan. I don’t mean to snap." She breathed in & out slowly & carefully as he watched, just finding a balance inside. "I owe you my thanks, don't I? For getting me out of Dun Loireag? They nearly finished me there."

Desmith ducked his head scratching the back of his neck sheepishly. "Well, it's the least I could do... considering it was the gift I gave you that kinda caused you not to be fighting at your best.." She looked at him crookedly, a smile & question starting to form in her eyes. Armina had not expected him to take any responsibility. "It was a bit overwhelming." She finally admitted. "I thought you were gone. Wouldn't think your friends would be too keen on you not beating Rayo & I."

"They're not. In fact, This is the last time I'll be logging in as Desmith." His shoulders drooped and a frown creased his brow. "Stinks. Because I put a lot of time before hacking into this character." Desmith looked around the field, as if reminiscing. "You're just lucky I came in to check on you like I promised Trevor I would. I'm sorry... I didn't think my gift would affect you like that.."

He really did look apologetic, & he lowered his shields just enough that Armina could feel the truth in his words from him. But she only stared at him in open-mouthed wonder. "Trevor?..." She breathed incredulously. "You've seen him? How is he?"

The hurt was evident in his eyes but he steeled himself off. Then he sighed, knowing how much the pair truly loved each other. Especially after seeing how Trevor was handling his wife's comatose state. "He's devastated. Hardly leaves your side. Convinced the doctors to set up everything they needed for you at home so that when you wake up it won't be in a hospital." With each word Armina felt herself falling into despair herself. God, how she missed him!

"He's glad to know you're all right. Had to forcibly hold him back for him not to follow you in here. Asked him who would take care of you if you both became trapped & he seemed to settle down." A wry smile touched her lips. That was so like Trevor, her knight in shining armor. Funny how Ryan had created Desmith in almost a mockery of her husband.

"If you see him again... don't.... please don't tell him how I almost died back there." She shivered, though the setting sun had not quite left the field cool yet. It was still sinking in how close she had really come to a true death... just by playing a video game.

"I won't tell him." He assured her strongly. Ryan was not interested in seeing the gentle giant that was Trevor lose his temper when he told the distraught husband that Trelweny had nearly been killed by administrators because she was stuck in a game by hackers & been given a gift by another of those hackers that might very well have been completely at fault. No. Even had she not asked Ryan had no intention of telling Trevor what had happened.

((Will continue tomorrow.))
Level 33
Skills: JukRepulse (WoodL2), RaiWipe (ThunderL2), RueKruz(1:S:Water), DekGanz (dec. Earth), RaiRom (1:Thunder), Repth, RipTeyn
Specials: LifeDrain
Items: 4Antidote, 2Restorative, 23Health Drink, 10Mage'sSoul, 5Ressurect

Armina
Exalted Player

Post by Armina » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:12 pm

((Not tomorrow but.... heh))

"So this is a field... is it hacked?" Armina spoke without looking at her companion. It hurt too much.

"Not in the normal sense." Desmith began slowly, almost in a drawl. "This is my fighting field. I set it up to always have a field I could go to & be alone that would always be just enough to level." He laughed sharply, as if finding that a foolish or pointless thing now. "I've another field I use just for reflection. Beautiful Solitary Melody." The duel sword wielding knight watched the LongArm, waiting to see if the singer behind the character reacted. A slight shiver was his only response. It was enough for him.

"Look, Trel..." Her head snapped around, blue eyes flashing dangerously. "Sorry... Armina..." Desmith tried not to chuckle as the battle readiness calmed down in his friend. "I'm not going to be able to use my fields. I thought I could grant you personal access to them while you're here. Give you somewhere to cool down or heat up or whatever you need to do." He gave a wry laugh. "Maybe just a place to empty your head from my other gift until you can control it better." He glanced back at her to see a thoughtful look in her oddly blue eyes. One of her cat ears twitched lightly in either the breeze or thought. He could almost hear her consider the matter through the shields he had raised on his mind. Had he hurried too much with her 'gift' before?

"What's the other field like & how would you do what you propose?" The battle-maiden asked at length. Desmith smiled & sighed. "Beautiful Solitary Melody is also a wood field, but a daylight woodland, almost like a maze. I hacked it a little more to have no monsters on the main field, though the dungeon was left alone. You can fight the monsters there or not, whatever you like. Come go as you please. Unlike here, where you have to fight your way out before the field lets you go. Unless you logout without saving."

Armina threw aside her other question as she sprang to her feet. "You mean I'm stuck here?" She had grabbed her spear automatically as she stood & the tip was dangerously near Desmith's unprotected throat. Aquamarine eyes widened in surprise. He had always thought Trelweny a gentle person.

"Only til you beat the field & it's dungeon, Trel." He winced at the slip, fully expecting the spear to be jabbed into his throat. He was not sure he did not deserve it either.

The LongArm spun around angrily. "It's Armina! ARMINA! Get it?!?!? As long as I am stuck here, Trel is DEAD!"

Heedless of where she was going the distraught battle maiden ran off. Seeing the golden rings in front of her & hearing their tell-tale noise as the female activated them, Desmith wasted no time in grabbing his swords & dashing off after her.

Armina paused at the sound, looking around her in surprise. Where did that pretty glowing thing go? & what...? She could not even finish the thought s a dark butterfly looking creature struck her from behind. Belatedly she saw her enemy screen show it to be a Phantomwing... not that she knew what that was.

Suddenly there was a flash of blades around her. Forgetting both her surprise & her fear, Armina watched the double blader have at the creature. It was like watching a Twin Blade using full swords. Not as fast as Nall -but then was anything as fast as Nall?- but certainly much faster than anyone should be wielding those weapons singly. As the Phantom wing swirled away into black vapors, Armina was struck with a sudden & terrible truth.

"You... you totally held back in the arena." Her blue eyes were wide with wonder. Desmith smiled sheepishly.

"I didn't really want to fight you.... Armina." He was careful not to use her real name. He had learned that lesson at last.
Last edited by Armina on Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Level 33
Skills: JukRepulse (WoodL2), RaiWipe (ThunderL2), RueKruz(1:S:Water), DekGanz (dec. Earth), RaiRom (1:Thunder), Repth, RipTeyn

Armina
Exalted Player

Post by Armina » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:57 pm

There was a pop sound as a chest appeared from the mists of the monster's leaving. Curious, Armina went to check it out.

"Armina, stop!" The swordsman called out in warning. Confused, she turned her turned her head.

"Why? It's just a blue chest thing. Aren't you supposed to open chests in video games?"

Desmith stared at her in mute bewilderment for a moment. You really don't know? How could she possibly have been playing in The World & not seen a chest until now.

"Know what?" Armina replied huffily. "It's a chest! You open it!"

"Blue chests are what are known as Risky Chests, Armina." Looking with what she called her 'game eyes' Armina saw that this was so.

"So?"

The knight chuckled, shaking his head. "You've really not seen a chest in The World before now, have you?"

The Battle Maiden glowered at him. "No. I haven't. It's been nothing but hackers & hacked fields & hiding & arenas & root towns & voices in my head since I started this game!" The last almost came out as a wail as the Battle Maiden realized the truth herself as she spoke. Then she laughed. It was almost a broken, scary thing. "heh. I did ask the youth selling me the game if it would be as if I was there... I guess I got what I asked for."

Desmith could not help it. He closed the distance between them & took the LongArm into his arms. She tolerated it for a moment before wriggling out. "Thanks. Now tell me why this is "Risky", what I should do about it, where the monsters come from & how many should I expect."

He chortled at her professional manner, knowing that was Trelweny's way to seal off her emotions. "Blue Treasures are Risky because they will blow up if you try & open them without deactivating them."

"And you deactivate them by..."

"Using a Fortune Wire." Taking one from his inventory, Desmith deactivated the trap. Armina watched as the blue chest turned gold in wonder.

"That's pretty neat."

The male laughed. "Yeah I guess it is." For all the LongArm's 29 levels, she was still a newbie. It was kind of interesting to see. "Here." Desmith emptied his inventory of Fortune Wires, only 10 right now. He frowned slightly, surprised he had not stocked up. "Take these. I won't be using them or this character again until the real hacker problem is fixed anyway. Just remember to use them if the chest is blue."

"Thanks." The LongArm took the proffered gift with little emotion. She wondered if she would survive this mess she had gotten herself into. All because I wanted to escape... now all I want is to escape my escape.

Desmith heard, but he pretended not too. "Monsters come out of the gates. You are at least familiar with gates?"

"The glowing rings? Yeah. That's how we get to fields & also..." She blinked, blushing. "Right. I'd forgotten about the monster gates. It's been a while since I'd seen one."

"That's okay. You've had a busy time of things." Which I didn't help

"Your "gift" was fine when it first started... when there was still some of the ball left to hold." Her natural instinct to console spoke up. "It was not until I must have absorbed it completely & there where so many people around that it became a bother."

"If you say so." Desmith did feel a little better, but it hardly swayed his guilt. "Anyway, there's 10 monster gates on the field, although sometimes you may get a chest instead of any monsters. In the dungeon, there's usually about one per room, though that changes a bit depending on your level."

"Where is the dungeon anyway?"

"huh? Doesn't your map show you?" Armina looked at her map, shaking her head in the negative. "I don't see anything."

Desmith smacked his hand to his head. "Of Course you wouldn't. How silly of me. We're not near the Entrance." Then he smiled in apology. "It's pretty easy to see, both on the map & with your eyes."

He blinked, looking over at a gate in the distance. "You do see that gate on your map, right?"

Armina frowned. "I told you, I don't see anything on my map."

"Huh? How's that?" He looked fully confused. Then realization struck & he laughed at himself. "Of course! You've not used a Fairy Orb!"
Level 33

Armina
Exalted Player

Post by Armina » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:24 pm

"Fairy Orb" The Long Arm repeated, blue eyes clouding.

"Fairy Orbs show you where the monster gates are." Desmith looked at her sideways, starting to worry about having to leave her on her own soon. She was worse than a newbie, having to learn the basics at a higher level was tough. Especially considering Admins & other players would likely be after her now. He sighed. "It was in the instruction book."

"It seems so long ago that I read that... so very long ago..." Her whispered words faded into the breeze as blue eyes became moist. Armina hugged her BerserkSpear to her; clinging to it as she might a life support. The man behind the knight ached to hold her, but knew in all manners of the word how utterly futile that was. Nothing but her husband's arms would console Trelweny. It broke his heart but he accepted that fact with quiet dignity -all he could muster.

"It's not hard. Here. Have mine. I won't be needing them either." She accepted the gift of a couple dozen Fairy Orbs graciously. "Now use one."

Doing so she saw little points of light show up on her map. "Wow. That's pretty neat. Useful too." Armina flashed him a smile. Then her eyes saddened. "You'll have to be going soon, won't you?"

"Yes. They can't trace anyone within either of my fields... as if we don't exist. But I leave a trail home... & sooner or later either Hackers or Admins will see it & be able to trace it. If I'm lucky... Admins will find it first. If I'm not... "

"Your former fellow hackers will trap you in here with the rest of us, torture you & likely kill you." Armina finished bluntly for him. Desmith nodded & they both sighed. "You shouldn't waste time with me."

"I have to. Trevor would kill me if I didn't do everything I could to see you were safe." & I couldn't bear to do less.

Catching the thought, Armina smiled sadly. "You say we don't exist here? So this is safe?"

"It will be safe for you if you let me tinker with your game character again."

"You're asking this time." "Yes." She smiled at that. "Okay. I accept. Just tell me how it works."

The knight flashed a pleased smile. Setting to work on the inner hackings, he explained what he was doing to the naive female. "I'm setting up a code interwoven on your character signal to permit you access to both Beautiful Eternal Hypha and Beautiful Solitary Melody. This will enable you to reach these fields from the Theta Gate, naturally. However, for safety's sake I'm adding in a feature where you can gate in from anywhere you can access a gate." He paused to see that she was listening. "You can bring someone with you, but only if you choose. This particular field will be set to the abilities of whoever comes through first -why I sent you in ahead of me, knowing I'd have to leave. If you come with a party it will be set for a party, with a party's difficulty. Does that make sense?"

Armina nodded once, slowly assimilating it. "Will they be able to detect my connection to the fields when I'm not here?" She was worried about the extra hacks.

"Only if they look very, very closely." Desmith insisted, his face becoming quite serious. "By the time they could do that..."

"It would likely be too late for me." Armina interrupted. She gave her old friend a wry smile. "I understand. Thank you, Ryan. You've been exceptionally helpful. I wish there was a way I could repay you."

"A hug?" Desmith blurted out before he could think twice on the subject. Then he flushed. "You always gave the best hugs..."

She nearly cried. "I'll try." Stabbing her spear into the ground Armina put her arms around her friend & hugged him tightly. She tried not to flinch as his arms encircled her to hug back.

"Thank you." He whispered, brushing a strand of her auburn hair behind a furred ear gently. Releasing her, he stepped away. "If I feel it's safe, I'll make a new character. You'll know it's me because I will say: Timex sent me."

Timex. Trevor's nickname from his football days. Tears filled her eyes. "What if you're captured & they learn the phrase?"

"Ask me something only you & he would know." He touched her cheek gently. "He's a lucky man. A good man. He deserves you."

"Thank you, Ryan."

"Goodbye... Armina, battle maiden." Then like a flick of a switch he was gone, leaving the LongArm alone with her tears.

"Goodbye, Ryan." She whispered into the breeze.
Level 33

Armina
Exalted Player

Post by Armina » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:42 pm

Turning away from the spot Desmith had faded from, Armina gazed around & checked her map. I can't leave until I beat all the monsters, or at least open all the gates, is that right Ryan? I suppose I had better get started.

It was nice to have her head to herself again. Even Desmith's mental shielding had felt uncomfortable to the developing telepath. She knew she would have to learn to control her new abilities and create her own shields soon enough. For now, it was wonderful simply to have a clear head & room to think. Especially after all that had transpired.

I hope my friends are all right... The LongArm grew worried. She had left them in the middle of battle. Who was to say what the admins would send at their band next, & if any of them could survive? She sighed. "No use moping about it, 'Mina! You can't find out until you're off this field so get cracking!!"

Hearing the sound of her own voice lifted her spirits somehow. She jogged with excited anticipation to the nearest ring -the one she had been able to see with Desmith. At least monsters have no thoughts... The LongArm grinned to herself as she neared the glowing gate & activated it.

foom foom foom

The gate disolved & Arima was shocked to realize three creatures had come from it. For some reason she had let herself think one monster per gate. Silly! They're were multiple monsters per gate before! She did not bother to defend herself aginst her own chastise, debating that for all she knew only hacker altered gates had multiple monsters. The truth was she still had not known.

A sting of pain shot through her as she tried to catch sight of her opponents. Another Phantomwing like the one Desmith had taken out, something that looked like three blades standing on their points & a large wasp creature. The game displayed that the two she did not know were Lambada Knife & Wood Harpy. It had been the wood harpy giving her the sting.

The two other attackers descended upon her & the battle maiden lashed out in pain automatically. Her spear managed to strike, but according to the numbers over the Phantomwing's head not for very much.

Think, 'Mina! Think!! She ducked & rolled out of the way of another sting from the Wood Harpy only to have to use her spear to fend off the dancing blades. The LongArm was completely unused to fighting alone --she never before had done so. What would Rayo say? "Focus on one!"

Taking a hit from the Phantomwing she cast a quick "Repth!" feeling the healing flow through her. She swung out her staff, spinning it around her in a dance. "DoubleSweep!"

Armina nearly crowed as the attack struck home, showing the damage counting up over the Phantomwing. She ran a bit away, rounding on the monster & scoring another hit. She wanted to check it's hitpoints but did not dare pause to do so. She lashed out, careful of her aim. her Berserk Spear struck soundly in the creatures torso. For a moment she was afraid it would be stuck, when over its head she saw big letters proclaiming Critical Hit. Armina blinked curiously at that, then felt herself fall as the Phantomwing dissipated into game ether.

Something struck her from behind. The Lambada Knife. She spun to strike only to be knocked sideways by the harpy. "Double Sweep!" Armina chose quickly, liking the way she felt using the dance-like move. She smiled, thinking that if she was not fighting for her life she would likely use it all the time. More even than she did.

She blinked in surprise as both monsters seemed to take damage from her attack. Now doesn't that beat all...

No time to think. They attacked her again in her moment of musing. "Umph!" Armina grunted, the breath knocked out of her. She felt in her pouch of a scroll as she tried to clasp her fingers tighter on the pole of her spear. "Raining Rocks!"

Armina automatically dodged out of the way of the falling stones, rolling around her spear like she was a log & it was her 'heart', before noticing that the spell seemed to do no damage to her. She laughed at the discovery & ran forward to catch the wood harpy off guard. She swung her spear with precision, like a thing possessed. A wild light shone in her blue eyes. The Lambada Knife struck from behind but Armina only winced slightly at the pain as she focused intently on finishing off her chosen target. As the wood harpy went the way of the Phantomwing, the battle maiden leapt into its black mist to avoid the thrust of the knife.

Grabbing a health drink she took the worst off of the pain of her wounds so far while keeping an eye on the remaining enemy. It lunged at her & she quickly made a sloppy parry, but enough to keep it from striking her. She smiled, knowing that she had the reach on it. Hard not to, when it was only blades. Using her spear almost like a long rapier, Armina permitted herself to have fun. She took a fencer's pose, stepping forward, stepping back. Feinting here, to make a "hit" there -gradually reducing her opponents remaining hitpoints. A final hit & it dissolved like the others.

That was fun... almost like dancing. She mock curtsied as the last of the black mist disappeared on the breeze.

Two gates down, 8 more to go! At least on the surface. There was still the dungeon to contend with too. Checking her map, Armina whistled as she skipped towards the next glowing point.
Level 33

Armina
Exalted Player

Post by Armina » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:23 pm

At the next gate the battle maiden quickly takes out the Phantomwing that emerges. She even remembers to use a Fortune Wire on the Risky Chest it left in its wake.

"Hands of Fire? Huh. I guess I can sell them." She stuck them in her inventory without further thought, having little to no understanding of how her armor or weapons worked. Armina liked what she had. It worked for her. Perhaps later once she found the group again Rayo or Kurai could help her find better armor or weapons if she needed any. Probably Kurai... he's a LongArm too & probably already knows about what's good equipment for us.

As she pondered Armina leaned back against a small rock casually.

"MUSHROOM!" A strange voice spoke up in an irritating way.

"Who's there?" Armina spun around in worry. No one can follow you here! Calm down, 'Mina!

"MUSHROOM!" Came the cry again. The LongArm blinked to see a strange bobbing thing sticking out of the outcropping of rock she had leaned against. It was perhaps half her size, but looked soft & sproingy. "MUSHROOM!" It sounded again. She winced.

"Heavens! But you're annoying!" "MUSHROOM!" "Arg! Don't you ever cease?"

"MUSHROOM!" The thing repeated, the same as before. Hoping to silence it the LongArm reached to pull it from its spot. She blinked as it disappeared into her inventory. "Now that's the oddest thing ever...." Armina mused aloud, wondering what that was about. "Well, at least its quiet now."

She jogged to the next gate showing on her map, prepared to do battle. When the golden glow dissolved and only a blue chest remained she looked at it curiously for a moment. In her surprise at having no monsters attack, the 29th level newbie stepped forward ot open the chest forgetting all about Fortune Wires.

BANG! Bright light, dust, & pain burst out all around her. She screamed in both pain & surprise. Armina sat on the ground as the dust settled, cradling her arm which bore the brunt of the explosion. "owow ow!!"

Tears flowed down her cheeks unheeded. "Stupid! Ryan told you about the blue chests!" She looked around, curious. Except for the damage done to her, there was nothing to be seen of chest debris or parts of whatever the chest might have been holding. The smile at the game's ability to deal with litter caused her to wince. Everything hurt. "Repth! Repth!" She cast to quicken her healing. To conserve her SP she sucked down a couple Health Drinks & lay back. Let's not do that again...
Last edited by Armina on Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Level 33

Armina
Exalted Player

Post by Armina » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:03 pm

She had no idea how long she had been here... how far she might have walked. The perpetual dusk was starting to feel quite odd, though it was still wonderfully beautiful. The previous two gates had unleashed 4 Lambada Knives & 2 Wood Harpy's on the LongArm respectively. The Knives had almost been fun to fight. She found if she took them on as if she were fencing that not only was it entertaining for her but that the swords seemed to shift to a sword-fighting style form of attack rather than the wild slashing they seemed prone to do otherwise. Armina had been able to dance with them, pretending they were four partners or fencing opponents instead of field monsters. She had felt refreshed & alive again after that battle.

The battle with the Wood Harpy's left her feeling quite dirty. Even though she found another Risky Treasure -this one with something called a Fire Lizard in it- Armina was a little down. She really wanted to get to Mac Anu & take a dive in the river that ran through the root town. As if on cue to her desire for a bath, the LongArm spied a small spring. She gave a happy cry of delight. "Please don't be a mirage!"

She jogged eagerly over to it, clapping her hands in excitement when it seemed to be very real indeed. Reaching her hands in to the water the LongArm splashed herself clean -very pleased to see that what her Repths & Health Drinks had not healed seemed to have continued to heal as she traveled on the field. Then she jolted back noticing text over the spring.

The Spring gives a strange feel. Throw in a weapon or piece of armor?

"Huh? Well, okies." She looked at the items she had picked up & tossed in the Fire Lizard. The LongArm yelped & jumped back as a huge floating drop of water with a face hopped out of the spring. The type above his head said: Monsieur Level 2.

"Did you lose a Golden Axe?" What the...? His voice was annoying, but not as bad as the mushrooms she kept finding all over. "um.. no."
"Or was it a Silver Axe?"

"Ah... neither?" Armina answered with raised brow, pushing her russet tresses out of her face in utter confusion. What the heck is this thing?

"What?! Neither one? Hmmm... Let's see... then is this it?"

Somehow -without hands- he gave her a Ceramic Anklet. That she understood, for she was equipped with them herself. She smiled her thanks.

"Till next time. Goodbye."

Armina blinked as the drop-face seemed to be sucked up into the sky, leaving the once clear spring an empty hole.

"I've changed my mind. That's the weirdest thing ever." She sighed at the empty spring. "At least I cleaned up first..."

With a shake of her head she walked off in search of the last two gates.
Level 33

Armina
Exalted Player

Post by Armina » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:38 am

Armina jogged across the field in utter frustration. She could not seem to find either the last two gates nor the dungeon entrance. Likely she was running around in circles.

Her map was no help. Nothing about it told her whether the tree she passed just looked the same as others she had seen or was the same tree, passed many times. Exasperated she threw herself to the ground, lying back.

A glimmer of gold flickered on her map. A gate? Rolling onto her belly she peered towards the direction indicated. Nothing. Perhaps it was just out of sight? The landscape did rise to a hill before her.

Standing up the battle maiden checked her direction with the map. If she just went strait now, she should be there. She jogged slowly over the hill. The LongArm did not see when the map shifted down to reveal the gate... nor the second directly beside it.

She crested the hill. foom foom Armina spun her BerserkSpear at the now familiar sound of a gate being activated. It clanged without damage to the Lambada Knife. Spotting a second Lambada Knife she hopped to the side to avoid its rapid attack.

foom foom

Armina blinked, surprised to hear a second gate activating. Turning her head slightly she caught sight as the gold rings faded & left another Lambada Knife as well as a Wood Harpy in its wake. What the...?!? Where they right on top of each other?

The battle maiden has no time as the monsters quickly surround her. "Double Sweep!" She calls out clearly, dancing her damage upon them all.

"Double Sweep! Double Sweep! Double Sweep!" Armina really did not feel like being creative. She was tired of this eternal dusk, tired of being alone, tired of fighting. Worried too, that she had taken far too long on this field when her friends could be dying back in Dun Lorrieg. Swiping once more at a Lambada Knife that had backed out of her attack range at some point Armina finished her foes. She leaned her head back & sighed. "Now where's that blasted Dungeon Entrance?"

She checked her map with little hope then blinked spotting the edge of an unfamiliar marker upon it. Turning, she walked towards it -keeping her eyes more upon the map than where she was going. When she was certain it was closer Armina looked ahead and gasped. "I've got to go in there? It looks like a friggin caterpillar!"

Apprehensively Armina walked around the entire entrance. It was not that she did not like bugs or caterpillars, but the idea of stepping into a giant one's mouth had her stomach in knots. Reaching the 'mouth' again the LongArm placed a tentative step on the pink tongue.

It squished. "Ewwwww!!" She grimaced, hopping back quickly. "God, that's gross!

She sighed. The battle maiden knew she would have to go on. Really, it was no worse than fighting for her life. Somehow, it was easier to focus on the grossness factor.

"Now or never, 'Mina..." With that she jogged into the gaping maw.

((short post. Sorry. Mind is elsewhere> *hugs*
Will try to post again Thursday.))
Last edited by Armina on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Level 33

Armina
Exalted Player

Post by Armina » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:54 pm

Once further inside the squishy pinkness of the giant caterpillar’s tongue gave way to a bluish floor that made an odd sound beneath the LongArm's blue boots. Something like sand, but with a trace of "squish" to it. She sighed. At least there's plenty of cushion...

Armina looked around her at the long corridor. The stone walls looked like they could have been man-carved or natural... a far cry from the caterpillar insides she had been expecting. Teal paint designs on the walls & in square patterns on the floor seemed slightly luminous against the blue-gray color of the stone. Ahead a huge doorway stood, its thick slab pillars banded with the same teal color. It was quite pretty, in a primitive sort of way.

She jogged to the doorway. It was at least twice her height. "Does everything have to be so big here?" She wondered aloud. Feeling odd, Armina placed a hand to her head. She was sweating profusely & her vision did not seem to be able to focus correctly. Armina felt weak & she could almost feel her health dripping away.

"What's... wrong with me?" She murmured, pausing to lean in the doorway. She could not fight like this. "Maybe... poison?"

She thought back but she could not remember if Wood Harpy's could poison or not. But they must, for Lambada Knives certainly did not. What I need is something that cures poison...

The LongArm looked through her inventory. "Now what would that be & where is it...?"

"Ah... Antidote." She gave a wry smile before downing the antidote in one quick motion. Armina grimaced at the taste. "You'd think in a game where they can have things taste like anything they want they could pull off a Mary Poppins with the medicines. At least the Health Drinks don't taste like anything."

The antidote was already starting to work. "Repth! Repth" She cast to restore the health the poison had dripped away. Closing her eyes she remained leaning against the pillar for her skill points to return.

Sometimes, 'Mina... you are an idiot.

When her head felt her own again she sat up, stretched & jogged beneath the stone doorway.
Level 33

Armina
Exalted Player

Post by Armina » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:22 pm

Crossing the threshold, the sound of rock falling spun the battle maiden around. She stared at the doorway in mute fascination. A great slab of rock had sealed her in. Now what? She mentally wailed in frustration to no one in particular.

The LongArm looked down the room she found herself in. The path looked like a 'T' to her. Right in the cross of the T was a glowing ring, and beyond it on the left, a treasure chest.

Nearing it apprehensively Armina braced for battle. She was surprised when it dispersed to reveal a Risky Treasure. Even more surprising was the sound of rock against rock. Looking around, Armina saw that all the doors were opened again. Huh? What's that all about? Using one of her remaining Fortune Wires she deactivated the trap getting another Fire Lizard. She opened the other chest to find...

"A Hanged Man?" Armina looked at the card in her inventory curiously. "I suppose it's like a tarot deck?"

Shrugging she continued down the path.

Three more huge sized rooms and nearly a dozen Wood Harpies later Armina found herself in a dead end room. Sighing at the waste of time she jogged forward to activate the gate so that the door would open again. She had figured that much out at least. Fully expecting another battle with Wood Harpies, she had to do double take at the Lambada Knives & red hued female humanoid that emerged. About to check what the new monster was the LongArm screeched in pain as flames circled around her, singeing her clothes & hair. She got the correct view up and almost wanted to scream a 'duh!' at the programmers reading "Fire Witch" but she was too pained to do more than grimace. Fire hurt.

Knowing she could not fight fire with fire she chased after the Fire Witch. Rayo had always said to take out magic users first. Which was funny, since WaveMasters were The World's magic users. Armina slashed as her target turned too closely making a small hit, but for the most part she was getting tired chasing the more nimble monster. And there were still the 2 Lambada Knives to be considered. The LongArm had been faster than them up until now, but sooner or later she would not be.

Flames crackled around her & she whimpered with the pain. A slash at the back of her legs reminded her in time to dodge the second Lambada Knife's attack. Remembering Rayo's spell training she reached into her pack. "IceFlow"

She paused long enough to smile at the Elemental Hit that flashed over the Fire Witch before she fell & dissipated. Too long, as the sharpness of a blade pierced her side. Armina grunted. She could hardly think from the pain. "Double Sweep!"

Her spinning dance held less power than usual, but it did sufficient damage & enabled the LongArm time to get away for a moment. "Repth! Repth!" The small healing took with it most of the immediate pain. Enough that she could almost think again. She thrust her spear then swung it about her in a wide arc. Armina wanted a nap. She wanted her friends. She wanted Trevor.

"Double Sweep!" She cried out in frustration, tears falling from her eyes like rain as she spun in the familiar steps of her dance. Armina panted as the Lambada knives fell, feeling the last drops of moisture from her own eyes touch down gently on her bare skin.

Sipping a health potion the battered LongArm opened the treasure chest resting on a stone platform at the end of the dead end. "The Death." She read aloud & shivered as her voice echoed in the stone chamber. As the chest itself disappeared Armina lay herself down on the flat stone surface where it had been. Please don't be a literal herald. Armina prayed as sleep overtook her. Rather you signified a change... a rebirth... a...

But she was asleep.

((Will be back after the weekend. Forgot about camping with late-hubby's family.))
Level 33

Armina
Exalted Player

Post by Armina » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:43 pm

After waking, Armina sighed & jogged back to the 'T' room to take the other path. Going through the doorway she first spied a large urn & went to look inside. A sudden noise from behind her made her jump.

"Golden Egg!" crash!

She sat up from the shards in dismay, rubbing her bruised body since she could not rub her injured pride. Some battle maiden you are! Jumping at every sudden noise!

sproing. sproing. Armina threw back her head & whimpered. "At least you're not as annoying as those mushrooms outside..." She said grabbing the item if only to shut it up. The mood music in this place had her on edge as it was. Looking inside another urn she found an antidote though the jar was empty. At least some things seem to work how I would think they would... she thinks to herself as she crosses to the next room.

The first thing that came to her mind was flashes of the arena. The way the room was set up, with its center marked out & pillars of stone with skull candle-holders on top at the corners made her think it was set up for something to be watched in that square. More like old day knight tourneys than gladiator fights. There was a treasure across the room, but the gate was in the center of the 'fighting field' between them. Sighing, she stepped forward; trying to ignore the giant humanoid skeletons embedded in the rock face of the walls around her.

((to be continued, Theron woke up while typing.))
Level 33

Armina
Exalted Player

Post by Armina » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:35 pm

Not surprising, the gate activated as she neared it. Armina quickly cast a spell on the FireWitch, grabbing anything but fire in her hurry. She was not in the mood to chase the speedy little caster with 2 LambadaKnives on her back. Those she took care of more leasurely, once more practicing fencing with her long spear. Armina let herself smile at the exercise. When they were defeated she turned to open the chest originally in the room only to find it gone. "Huh?" She wondered aloud. "Do they have a time limit or something?"

Shrugging to herself she opened the treasure that appeared in the wake of one of the LambadaKnives. Her eyes grew soft & she smiled gently while admiring the card found within.

"The Moon..." She breathed, almost reverently before tucking it away with the others. "I'll keep them..." I wonder how many of the Tarot there are here...

Still slightly dreamy from the thought of "going out" with a spirit journey through the tarot Armina jogged through the open doorway...

And straight into a gate. The battle maiden barely registered the sound of its activation in time, going into a defensive position seconds before the LambadaKnife attacked. She barely blocked the blow in time, but not so the flames that consumed her as the FireWitch attacked. Wincing in pain, Armina greatly understood why friend WaveMasters must be protected & foe casters must be targeted first. It was just logical.

But this fool caster had not yet run away. Quickly noting that both enemies were close together the Battle Maiden danced with her spear in her favorite Skill. "Double Sweep!"

The attack took the FireWitch down enough to stun it, and Armina hastily finished the deed before confronting what was left of the LambadaKnife. This time she saw as the room's starting treasure chest disappeared & sighed. She grabbed the two Hanged Man cards from the monster's treasures & -avoiding the skelleton in the corner of the room- headed into the next room prepared for battle.

A good thing too. The jolt of hearing something say "Invisible Egg." made her jump, but she was still ready when the gate before her opened. Curious, she tossed a Hanged Man at first one, then the other, FireWitch that emerged. With a blink, the battle maiden realized that they had become paralyzed. She paused only a moment before taking care of the two, then turned her attention to the Wood Harpy & LambadaKnife at her back. The sound of sproinging in the background mixed with the eerie background music got on her nerves but she snagged the GaleBreath out of the chest that appeared before going to check out the source of her irritation.

Another egg. Armina made a face at its less than appealing appearance. Unlike the yellow & green Golden Egg, the Invisible Egg was not cute. It was green, with a purple "face"... and its eyes appeared to be sewn shut. Armina tossed it into her inventory making another face. "Ugh. I don't see what use you'll be, but..."

Shrugging Armina did not bother to finish the thought. What was the use? No one heard her anyway.

Going into the next room Armina was surprised to see stairs leading down underneath the now familiar stone doorframe. Once she was over her momentary surprise she sighed. "How deep is this dungeon anyway?"

With another heaving sigh she shouldered her spear & jogged in resignation down the stairs to see what lay in store for her in the second level.
Level 33

Armina
Exalted Player

Post by Armina » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:56 am

Armina stared down the long hallway before her. "Now why bother making it this long?" she sighed. Because for a game, who cares how far one runs -& it's only a few more lines of program. She would perhaps think of the good exercise she was getting... except her body was not here. Jogging down the hallway the LongArm wondered -probably not for the last time- what would become of her body without her. Would they keep it on a physical regimen? Armina sighed & wiped away a stray tear. "Trevor... I'm sorry..."

Choking back tears Armina crossed into the next room -and into battle. She was getting used to these instant activations. Armina dispatched the two Wood Harpies with relative ease; if only because she did not have to think much about it. She picked up The Death from the treasure, then the Golden Egg -if only to shut the ruddy thing up. Then she trotted on through the room.

The next room was surprisingly empty, save for a square pool smack in the center. Armin eyed it curiously, making certain she could see a bottom. I've not bathed in a while... and that strange spring wasn't a proper bath... Thinking it over a moment more, Armina gave in. Setting her spear to the side Armina removed her clothes & slipped into the water. It was comfortably cool & the battle maiden permitted herself a good soak before scrubbing down her clothes. She even washed her grunty plush that somehow had a streak of dirt along its face. Clean & tired, Armina dressed again & curled up to take a nap.

The room she entered next upon waking made Armina glad she had not checked it out before her nap. Each corner looked like an unholy altar flanked by the typical pillars topped with skulls & candles. Shuddering even though she knew it was a game the LongArm hurried through uneasily. Who knows how much is only a game anymore. It's certainly not a game for those of us trapped here...

Worried about her friends, Armina hurried along.
Level 33

Armina
Exalted Player

Post by Armina » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:20 pm

Eyes wide as saucers, Armina watched the huge floating rocks as they bobbed up and down on nothing over an immense pit. It was jst too bizarre. Whyever did they put that into the game?

Getting enough over her shock to jog towards the gate & activate it the LongArm reduced the WoodHarpy & FireWitch back to the dark swirls of programming they came from with the aid of a Hanged Man. From the treasure she replaced her card & trotted on to the now open doorway.

She got the treasure from the blue chest that spawned from the gate in the center of the right angle path she was on. Armina noticed that she was almost out of Fortune Wires & blinked in surprise. She had not realized she had found so many treasures, much less risky ones. Not that it mattered really... what were game treasures compared to the lives of her & her companions?

That made her hurry again. She picked up a GreenGale from the treasure in the next room & was still putting it away when she crossed to the next. As she activated the gate the loud clunking of the monster within almost terrified her. Especially when she saw the size of it. It was easily three times her height with broad shoulders & a big belly encased entirely of armor. On its head was a pointy golden helm. There was a lance-looking arm on one hand & a large spiked ball on the other.

With controlled panic, Armina cast her Green Gale at what her window called a General Armor. The level 29 newbie paled seeing the words that followed. Magic Tolerance.

Grabbing her spear with both hands, Armina stepped into battle. She stabbed at a leg, then thwacked at the underside of an arm. From behind the monster struck her square in the back with his spiked ball & the Long Arm went flying along the ground. Rising groggily, the battle maiden wondered how she had managed to hold on to her weapon. All too soon she was fighting again just to keep from getting hurt. After a while she found a pattern that worked for her & when she did Armina managed to take out the General Armor with minimal damage to herself. It took a while though, & afterwards Armina could feel it. Brushing her auburn hair from her eyes she shouldered her spear & continued on.
Level 33

Armina
Exalted Player

Post by Armina » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:21 am

The room she entered reminded her a lot like the one with the floating boulders. It was less disturbing to her however, for there were no hovering slabs of stone -only very large stalactites hanging from the ceiling high above. Well, at least the programmers seemed to have had fun creating these rooms... Armina thought to herself as she activated the gate.

She almost cooed at the small, childlike creature that appeared with two Wood Harpies. It was small & red haired, perhaps half of Armina's height. Its backside looked almost like a chicken's & it carried a star topped wand. Looking back, Armina knew she was quite foolish to ignore the Flamer in preference of fighting the Wood Harpies - a decision mostly reached because of its resemblance to a child.

The flames engulfed her almost immediately as she fought the Wood Harpies. The LongArm was shocked but pressed on. She cut down one of the harpies before the pain from the Flamer's fire seared her once again. Armina cried out, tears stinging her eyes. But still, the part of her that yearned to be a mother could not bring herself to change targets. It was not until she dispatched with the second Wood Harpy that she turned her attention on the Flamer. Tears sparkled in her blue eyes.

I don't want to do this! But I must! Better this, now... when I know it's only a game program than later with a hacker who has chosen to look like a child! She steeled herself up as best she could, cast her last Ice Flow scroll then ran up to finish the job while the caster was still stunned.

Armina felt no relief as she collected the treasure, staring at it blankly before putting the items away without ever really seeing them. Then she crumpled to her knees, her spear clattering to the stone floor as she leaned her face into her hands and sobbed bitterly. Not for the childlike creature, but for the child she would likely never have. Being here was killing that dream as surely as she had killed the game's monster -and the thought was devastating.
Level 33