Talk about anything you want here, just keep it clean, thank you!

Moderator: Nighthand

HackerNuse
Elevated Player

Battle Royale

Post by HackerNuse » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:57 am

Well I thought I would start a little topic about this.

Battle Royale is one of the best books I have read in a long time. In short the story is about a group of 9th graders that are put on an island and force to fight and kill one another until one is left standing. All because they live in nation(The Republic of Great East Asia) that is corrupted and very very sadistic. Even though the concept of blood and violence amongst teenagers in America isn't the greatest thing and a book written about that would surly gets some complaints from those that lack the understanding of its meaning but it really is a great book. Now the story revolves around six characters, Shuyu Nananhara(main character), Noriko Nagawa, Shugo Kawada, Shinji Mimura, Hiroki Suigimura, Kazuo Kiriyama and Mitsuko Souma. Each character having their own story to tell.

Honestly I could see a cross between George Orwell's 1984 and William Golding's Lord of Flies. The themes decussed in this book are that of loyality, lol I almost want to say right to passages. The depth the aurthor takes you in his novel is deep, describing every detail of a character(42 in all) bit by bit. Makes you really sad when they die because you feel so attached to them, I know I tear streamed down my face once or twice:(. Now there is also a manga and movie made and a second movie that is set three years after the orignal Battle Royale took place. I have seen the movie and I am currently reading through the mangas(which is an American adaption to the Japanese, but are still worth while). All three really good, but I think the second movie didn't have the same umph that the first one did. There are some minor differences between the manga, book and movie more so between the book and movie than the manga.

So if anyone has read or seen the book, manga or movie please do tell me what you think. There is a remake of it in Argentinian called Sangre Fria (Cold Blood).
Temepst | Lv. 15| Whipmaster|200 Gold

Phoenix512
Exalted Player

Post by Phoenix512 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:07 am

Actually, the manga is orginally Japanese in origin. I have read the book and seen the first movie (need to get the second one). The book gives each of the students their own backstory which the movie ignores most of the students by quickly killing them. The story really draws you in which was the first thing that made me get the book and movie. It is something everyone should read but watch it maybe for some not a good idea.
Phoenix
Level 48 Blademaster
Equipped Skills: Vak Revolver, Gan Revolver, Dek Vorv, La Repth, Juk Kruz, Rue Kruz, BiVak Rom, GiGan Zot
Other Skills: Rue Kruz, Rip Synk, Rip Saem, Crack Beat, Rue Slash, Ani Slash, Gan Crack, Gan Revolver

Wish List: Phoenix's Fire, Gold Necklace
EX-Spheres: LV 3 - Overdrive, LV 3 - Curative, LV 3 - Elemental Breath

Hijinx
Exalted Player

Post by Hijinx » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:48 pm

I thought you were going to recommend we have an all diverge battle royale. I'm slightly disappointed now. 8)
Hijinx the Lucky Former Rabbit
Level 35.000 Fist Fighter
Equip: Fist Guards, Wyrm Hide, guard cap, Snow panther, silver bracers
Item: 5 ressurect, 2 antidote, 10 healing potions, 6 Emperor's Soul, 3 Raging Earth, 5 Ice Floe, 4 Gale Breath, Knights Bane, 10 Speed Charms
Money: 1103gp
"The problem with life is there's no back-ground music."

HackerNuse
Elevated Player

Post by HackerNuse » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:03 pm

Haha I am sorry that I dissappointed you, but that is an inetersting idea. We should have a Divergence Battle Royale. Stick about 40 our so on a field, could have all of divergence place bets on the one that will come out victorious. It would be most amusing don't you agree? Hmm lol would anybody else be up to see a Divergence Battle Royale

Cypher
Exalted Player

Post by Cypher » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:09 pm

My word what timming...

First off Hacker N, I'm grading your duel. I don't check my mail much so I missed it.

Secondly, I'd think a Battle Royale would be awesome. I am recruiting for main, and if the battle is done in subs with people betting, it'd be a great publicity stunt.

Main has revived, and what better way to do it than to have mainers fight to the death?

I, personally, will want to participate in this.
Wishlist: Ends of Earth (11 BM), Black Sharp Angel Wings, BM Swords (Rare/Common)

New sig coming soon!

Hijinx
Exalted Player

Post by Hijinx » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:50 pm

Everything is going according to plan... hehehehehehe...
Item: 5 ressurect, 2 antidote, 10 healing potions, 6 Emperor's Soul, 3 Raging Earth, 5 Ice Floe, 4 Gale Breath, Knights Bane, 10 Speed Charms

Cypher
Exalted Player

Post by Cypher » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:23 am

Hmm...Jinxy, don't get too anxious about loosing...

I'm hoping all the mainers will do this. And yes, you can use your hacked powers...that's going to be the fun of it all!
Wishlist: Ends of Earth (11 BM), Black Sharp Angel Wings, BM Swords (Rare/Common)

New sig coming soon!

Nall
Elevated Player

Post by Nall » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:29 pm

*laughs* I guess I'm excluded if I get to use my powers lol :roll: I probably won't be around enough if we do this early anyways ^^;
Nall//Blademaster | SWORD | Time Headband | Kagayuzen | Hands of Life | White Boots | {Life Drain}{Skill Drain} <Rue Crack> <Rue Revolver> <Ap Do> <Miu Lei> <Ol Repth> <Rip Maen>

HackerNuse
Elevated Player

Post by HackerNuse » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:57 am

Well I hope to get everyone in Battle Royale. Want to it to be a big thing, so give it about a week or so. Get things ready, and Nall how long do you think it will be till your ready because if its not long we can wait till you're ready.

Nighthand
Master of Games
Class: Bladesmage

Post by Nighthand » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:27 am

nall, you gingi and i would by all rights be able to take out anything, based on our powers alone... hell, any one of us could give the other two a run for their money... but when i listed my powers to cypher, he said okay... so i may or may not be in, considering if i think the opposition has a chance or not.

Hijinx
Exalted Player

Post by Hijinx » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:57 pm

Bragging nighthand?

HackerNuse
Elevated Player

Post by HackerNuse » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:24 pm

If it is bragging you will be the first to die by my hand muahahah.

Well depending on how powerful you are just restict some of your powers that goes also with Gingi and Nall. Battle Royale is to be a major thing but won't be much fun if you guys could kill us with one hit now will it well.... maybe lol but it wouldn't be much fun with out you guys as well. So just have a few or little restictings on hacked powers as it goes. What you guys think, I mean we want it to be fair but at the same time it won't because of natural advantages. So ehh just find some way to make it just a little equal, but not. XP

PS: How many will be in Battle Royale? If you are then say "Time to Kill" in a creepy voice. :D

Cypher
Exalted Player

Post by Cypher » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:46 pm

Nall, night and Gingi can participate. I'll restrict their power so that it won't be unbalanced.

New sig coming soon!

Nighthand
Master of Games
Class: Bladesmage

Post by Nighthand » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:58 pm

oh, you think you'll restrict my powers. but they're subtle, smooth, tricky... you can't possibly block off all access to even a fraction. -grins- of course i'm bragging, i'm tied for highest level, and my powers are such that, well, i won't go into that. if you want to know the full set (what's been revealed at least) you'll have to go back and read.

Phoenix512
Exalted Player

Post by Phoenix512 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:15 pm

I'm in the Battle Royale. My powers have their limits.
Phoenix
Level 48 Blademaster
Equipped Skills: Vak Revolver, Gan Revolver, Dek Vorv, La Repth, Juk Kruz, Rue Kruz, BiVak Rom, GiGan Zot
Other Skills: Rue Kruz, Rip Synk, Rip Saem, Crack Beat, Rue Slash, Ani Slash, Gan Crack, Gan Revolver

Wish List: Phoenix's Fire, Gold Necklace
EX-Spheres: LV 3 - Overdrive, LV 3 - Curative, LV 3 - Elemental Breath